Frog Collectibles & Other Such Nonsense: Gertie, Me, and a Skunk named Earl

Frog Collectibles & Other Such Nonsense

A look at my frog collectibles as I get them and my wacky world in the meantime.

Saturday, July 02, 2011

Gertie, Me, and a Skunk named Earl

Earl likes to roam through my yard many nights - on the prowl for grubs and other tasty treats. When I open the door and it's dark outside, I will often take a little whiff to see if Earl is around. Gertie doesn't need to go roaming about when Earl is nearby. I don't know for sure, but I bet they wouldn't get along. I say I don't know for sure, but that's not exactly true. I found out last night that Earl is a little monster. With a very big stink. And now Gertie and I have been on the receiving end of Earl's wrath for entering his territory. It may be my yard during the day, but it's his domain at night - and he reinforced that most strenuously. I opened the door last night to let Gertie out - remember I'm not feeling all that well - and so I did not double check to see if Earl was about. Earl was not only about, but right outside the door. I heard Gertie give a rather pained howl and I opened the storm door to check on her only to have the smell of Earl wafting through the air. I've heard tell that it's akin to the smell of burning rubber. I have to say that's about as good a description as any - as long as you realize that the burning rubber is stuffed up your nose and there is nothing you can do to get it out! And as I was calling Gertie back in I saw the white stripe for just a second before Earl reminded me that I was in his domain.

Baths of a mixture of peroxide, baking soda, and dawn dish washing liquid were given all around. A night spent tossing and turning and every time you move the smell of Earl renewed was horrible. The smell is still there and will be for a while I'm sure. All I know is I would not want to be down-wind of either of us anytime soon!

1 Comments:

At 11:29 AM, Blogger ANN BROOKS said...

My husband goes outside at night at least once a night. He usually takes a flash light with him because we have foxes and racoons around. I told him your story about EARL. Now I tell him to watch out for EARL. We haven't seen a skunk yet, but who knows, with all the other critters around out there we probable have an EARL,too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Blog contents copyright Ken Frantz © 2004